Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Amish .... an inspiration

Amish .... a great inspiration for me and anyone who chases a simple life ...

Whenever I get into an argument battle of why we should lead a life copied from the 'illusionary' freedom culture of the West, I look at the Amish and feel all hope can't be lost. Even today they live 150 years back, literally, in terms of everything around them. This in the so called 'most happening' country in the world.

They can not be an inspiration for the world to live like them, but are an inspiration to not to accept any alien culture blindly. They show us that even if the whole world moves in one direction, if we understand and believe in our identity, we can still lead a simple and happy life.

Back in 2005, I read this article in The Hindu from where my interest in Amish started ... and it was a pleasant surprise when I came across an Amish family during my roaming in rural Canada ...

Hindu Article Link
(http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/11/27/stories/2005112700490800.htm)

No comments: