Monday, July 08, 2013

Bangalore Pickpocket Racket - a possible thwarting experience

After hearing the tales of two of my team mates losing smart phones while alighting from/getting into the crowded alley of Volvo buses, today, I witnessed and probably thwarted an attempt, but couldn't really do justice. This is for all those Bangaloreans out there to mind your pockets in Volvos, especially when you are busy getting in or getting out. And what I'm explaining here is exactly how my colleague probably lost his week-old Samsung Galaxy Note II, a couple of months back. This is something I witnessed yesterday (July 8, 2013), at around 10.30 AM.

It was a 500c towards ITPL and the standing/luggage area of the Volvo bus was unnecessarily crowded, especially given that the entire space above (between the seats) was sparse, where I was standing. As the bus crossed Graphite India and as people started to get down, it was obvious that people were struggling to get out. Two guys (X and Y, let's say) were standing as you get down the two stairs in the volvo and were throttling the passageway. I was not very clear about their intentions at first. My eyes then went to a guy who got down in SAP bus stop and was searching for something in all his pockets to no avail, possibly a mobile phone. It might be my over caution, I thought. But when I turned my attention back into the bus, I was amazed. The entire luggage area near the door was filled with people cramping themselves for space and I was the only one standing in the aisle of about 15 ft long. To me it looked like someone was stopping people to come up the aisle.

Just then, one of the guys (say J), so far seated got up to alight in the iGate stop. While the stop was yet to come, he was struggling to get past X-Y throttle and was in obvious fear, for not able to get down at his stop. At this time, my gaze lowered casually and to my surprise, the hands of X fondling outside of the left trouser pocket of J, as if a dog is sniffing for bombs. It was just a few seconds and I knew what was happening. But I was too confused as to what to do, and when the hands of X was going towards the top of pocket, I knew he is probably going to hit his prey. Impulsively, I moved forward pretending as if I was going to get down and gave a thudding kick on X's legs. He jerked a bit and took his right hand off J's pocket.

By this time J got down to safety, but I was left with nothing against X, or rather I had my kick on X against me.  X probably realized that I have found what was happening and with a meak smile came up the stairs and said "Aapka pair lag gaya zor se" and moved towards the seats. I was dumbfounded that I couldn't really point finger at him for anything. I was trying to think fast on what to do, for I had nothing against this guy now, and quickly decided to take a pic and opened my mobile. I don't know if he realized what I was doing or if Y signaled him about my camera, X immediately started doing all sorts of antics of using his hands to comb his hair with his face always buried behind his hands. After a few seconds of attempts, I could only take a partial photo of him (deliberately blurred the rest of the part of the photo):



I gave up on X, and turned back as my bus stop approached, and saw that Y was firmly looking at me. I quickly took my mobile again, but Y was ready for it and quickly ducked his head into the crowd and started to look away. My confusion was growing in all this and my bus stop too came and I got down in a helpless way.

I don't know if I should have done anything better, for I did see what was happening, but given that I had no evidence against them, I was clueless then and all I could do is write this.

Be aware of your pockets when you alight buses and also when you get into buses, where it is equally easy to throttle you and fly away with your priced possession in quick time. One way to avoid the problem is to put your smartphone into the bag before getting down, but this is likely to be unsuitable for many. Another way would be to keep your hand firmly inside the trouser pocket where your phone is and use the other hand for balancing while you move through the crowd. You can also keep an eye on the Volvo stairs for such X-Ys throttling the stairs of volvo buses and probably catch them in act.

Share it with your fellow Bangalore friends and let them be aware.

No comments: